Baby Stepping Fourth: Fears Part 2, Column 3
If we are unaware of how fear affects our lives, we will continue to let it influence our choices and haunt our thoughts. Ridding myself of most of my fear has been one of the truly miraculous benefits of working the Steps. I’m passionate about helping others escape the claws of fear and find similar freedom. Take a chance…live your life!
Part 2 Assignment: List in column 3 the area of self that is affected by your fear. Regardless of where the fear originated, whether it was something passed down from our family or whether it started with a traumatic event or not… fear imprisons us.
Disarming fear and the power it has in our lives, the control it takes from us — this is one reason we follow the advice of Old Timers and write out a Fears Inventory after our Resentments Inventory.
Self-esteem, Security, Ambitions, Personal Relations or Sex Relations are some of the umbrella areas of our lives that are affected. Keeping it simple is my motto, so I use the above 5 in the Not So Scary Fears Worksheet found in the top menu bar.
- keeping me locked into inaction
- tying me up with feeling sorry for myself
- weighing me down with dread
- pouring anxiety into my system
- tiring me out with hyper-vigilance
- What have I never done that I always dreamed of doing?
- What do I repeat that I wish I could stop doing?
- What do I exaggerate or minimize because to tell the truth about it would be too scary?
- What action do I avoid because I dread the opinion of other people?
Take a chance, live your life!